Thursday, September 12, 2013

Inspiration Comes in the Oddest Forms...

Inspiration comes in the oddest forms. It truly does. One of the inspirations for all of this... whatever this is, I realized, was these bananas. These and the mangoes from the trees in the back yard. This is only the second bunch of bananas that actually ripened to the point of being able to be eaten, but it was just cool to have them there, and think about the possibilities of lots of bananas, too many to actually eat, and what I could do to save them for later. 

My mom suggested making loaves of banana bread and freezing them (Mom is super smart about that stuff! Lots of stuff, actually, but this is about the homesteader, save and store everything part). Of course, I didn't get to that, but even before the first bunch was big enough and ripe enough to cut down, there was *another* bunch growing! There are several banana trees out there, but they come and go, and it's rare to get bananas. And the ones that show up usually don't ripen to the point you can eat them.

So now the other one is out there, prompting and inspiring me to remember that I should be growing things, because it's better food, could save money in the long run, and well, it's just part of my "heritage". I come from a family of savers and storers, and canners and freezers, and well... you get the idea. 

And I will also have you know...


that I have heartily resisted the beekeeping classes that have been dangled in front of me, the urge to go buy loads of embroidery supplies when I already have tons, the lure of art classes I saw advertised... 

So this weekend is it! Those seeds are getting planted! I mean it! It's time to take this to the next level!

Wish me luck.

And also - thanks for the RX comments. I'm gonna start hacking up my aloe plants this weekend, too, I think... *sigh*

(No new tomatoes, but the ones there are finally getting bigger! Woo hoo!)

:)

2 comments:

  1. You can freeze them whole, peeled or not. And use them in the bread when you get to it, or in smoothies as the ice agent.
    Anonymous Aunt Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo - Excellent! Thanks for that. See all the smart women I know?

    :D

    Aunt Pam II

    ReplyDelete