Wednesday, September 25, 2013

First Harvest!

It's here! The first harvest of anything edible! Probably not what you think...




That's right! Three tiny peppers! Aren't they cute?!

But aren't they supposed to be red or orange, you ask? Why yes, yes they are. However, here's the reason I picked 'em:


One of them was already rotting! Or... something. I read they weren't supposed to get as big as bell peppers in the store, and these certainly aren't. Nowhere close, in fact. I've also been told that green peppers will eventually turn red or yellow or orange if they stay on the plant long enough anyway.

I don't know how true that is (though it was my sister the growing queen who told me, so I don't doubt it), but these peppers snapped right off when I picked them, which tells me they were ready to be picked. Though I sure didn't expect them to be *this* tiny. Still, they seem edible and that's the important part, right?! Ha ha! Now... just gotta figure out what I'm going to do with them...

Oh - and so much more tomorrow! Lots happening between torrential downpours here in South Florida!

:)







2 comments:

  1. Have you added calcium? You might have blossom end rot which is caused by calcium deficiency. Boiled and ground eggshells will help, but not quickly. I've heard you can put Tums on them or you can buy some calcium fertilizer. Isn't this what happened to you last year?

    Can you fix my spelling? You are the grammer queen.

    I'm not the growing queen because I'm good at it. The more you plant, the higher your chances of getting food. Like the lottery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's sort of what happened last year, though they were in a completely different place. But yeah, I just figured they'd been there too long since I just read they didn't grow very large here.

      So this Tums thing - just stick a couple of tablets in the dirt? Crush them up and sprinkle on the dirt or the plant? Or crush up and work into the dirt? Maybe some silly questions, but remember - I'm still learning! :)

      Delete