Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy New Year!



Expanded the garden yet again! Peas with trellis on the left. And Lily eating dirt, as usual...

What else was I going to put in the title? Ha ha

But catching up on is what this is more or less about today. Some nifty stuff is going on around the ol' faux homestead.


For example - in the spirit of this new adventure, I got some excellent garden-themed gifts for Christmas. Such as this handy sprayer:







If you notice, the top of the box is opened. I did that when I opened the present itself. In our family, you never know if whats *on* the box is actually *in* the box, ha ha! In this case, it was  :D  (Though I did receive a gift card wrapped in a marker box. I had to give back the marker box, lol).

I'm going to use this for my sister's super bug repellent recipe of hot pepper water mixed with dish soap and possibly some hot sauce. It worked before, but my spray bottle got clogged. This can be rinsed out, she said, if it does get clogged. Awesome!



And also got - diatomaceous earth! This should help with more of those creepy-crawlies trying to eat my plants! (For those who don't know what this is, it's more or less an organic pesticide, I think. Here's the Wikipedia page about it:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth )



Yesterday I decided to go with the diatomaceous earth. The directions say to use a "hand duster, power duster, or spray bottle" to apply it. Here is my handy-dandy "hand duster", ha ha!


(Sometime I will devote a blog post to the most awesomely useful thing ever - the Garibaldi's cup!)


Hit "Read More" to find out what happened, haha!


What I didn't realize, as I "dusted" my plants was that - yesterday was a windy day. It didn't start off that way when I was "applying" the diatomaceous earth, but it sure ended up that way. *sigh* Should have gone with the sprayer, I guess. Though when I went out there later last night, and this morning, everything still looks like it's covered in powdered sugar. So either I used way too much, the wind hasn't affected it so much, or that stuff sticks better than I thought it would, ha ha!

Also - for the commenters! For some reason they went to spam. I'm going to go answer those after I post this  :D  



And one for the road - is this not a real cucumber?! Should be ready to pick soon!




Thanks All, and Happy New Year!

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment