Saturday, December 28, 2013

Look How Her Garden Grows!

Yesterday I promised, and this morning, I'm delivering! Garden update! Things are just exploding around here on the ol' faux homestead and I'm very excited. Pictures galore!

First up - George's First Tomato!

You read that right. After long, long, long last, George has a tomato! This really is pushing the "late bloomer" thing a bit far, but I always hoped he had it in him. It's small but sturdy, and he has loads more blossoms. Let's hope this is the start of something awesome. Take a look:

 Not the best pic, but all I could do - the wind kept blowing George around  :)
Second - Basil!

If you recall, I used to have Frankenbasil (see post here:  http://hoemsteadwannabe.blogspot.com/2013/11/halloween-might-be-over.html )

My lovely mother, while she was here at Thanksgiving, did to the basil what I should have done, and repotted and replanted it. She even pulled up a couple of the little ones growing in the cracks and they are in tiny little pots of their own, soon to need to be moved to big pots of their own. So now - here it is! It's growing like crazy. I swear, this time I'm gonna cut it and get it chopped and frozen!

Third - Cukes!

Yep - you read that right, too! There are five, count 'em, *5* baby cucumbers on the plants in the garden. Keep your fingers crossed they all make it, but I'm super excited! It's amazing what a little thinning and fertilizer can do, I guess  :D  Take a look at tiny cukes:









Here - hit "Read More" to read more, and see more awesome pics!



Fourth - Squash!!

YES! After replanting squash seeds, I actually thinned the plants, and now there are both a gazillion little blossoms and buds - and at least two tiny squashes on the plants!! Take a look at 'em:

See it? Up there in the top left corner?  :D






And this one already looks like a teeny tiny squash. It's about the size of a dime. I know, I know, too small to count my chickens yet, but it's more than happened before. I'm allowed to be excited I think!

Fifth (yes a fifth!) - Lettuce!

Planted some seeds and here it is coming up. Or it might be from the stuff that went to seed, ha ha. Regardless, here's the sprouts:


And oh so much more! Later today or tomorrow I will show you all the cool (garden themed) stuff I got for Christmas. If it doesn't rain today (it looks like it's gonna), I'll use some of it today. Otherwise, tomorrow for sure.

Thanks for reading, btw. And go name my tomatoes! Those two plants are *huge*, need staking soon, have loads of blossoms - and still have no names! Let's hear suggestions! Pics of them later or tomorrow as well.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment